Friday, September 16, 2016

Sniplet 82. The Parent Trap 5 [Parent Trap]

“And how were your classes today, Illarion? Did anything interesting happen today?” asked Illarion’s father, Illiam. Illarion hesitated, thinking about the two strange children he’d met earlier that day. But then he shook his head.
“No, father. Nothing interesting happened.”
“Nothing at all, dear?” asked Illiam.
“No.” said Illarion.
Illiam nodded. “Alright, well, dear, your father will be up in an hour or so.”
Illarion nodded back.
Honestly, he wasn’t very fond of his father Kir. Illarion had always felt like Kir wasn’t ready to be a father. He didn’t seem to have the same maturity, the same responsibility. While Illarion always felt that if he needed a shoulder to cry on or someone to patch up his cuts and bruises he could turn to Illiam, but that Kir would be utterly useless for such things. In fact, Illarion knew well from experience that he was.
So the fact that he’d be up in an hour was utterly uninteresting to Illarion. “Well, father, I’m going to read until then.”
“Me too.” said Illiam, putting on his reading glasses. “What are you reading tonight, dear?”
Illarion showed his father the book he was reading: Necromancy Through the Ages, Volume 7.
Illiam smiled slightly. “Looks interesting.” He showed Illarion his book- “Tsars of Ancient Dynasties.”
“I think our tutor is going to have us read that next month when we study Uldoki history.”
“Well, it’s a little dry, but I think that the author-”
“YOU!” shrieked Lukas, slamming open the door to the study. Two palace guards were running behind him, but hadn’t yet caught up with him. “You and your brother are trying to ruin my life!”
“Excuse me?” asked Illiam, putting down his book on the table next to him. “I haven’t cooperated with my brother in years. Why would I want to hurt you, Lukas, in any way? Tell me what you’re accusing me of.”
“Your brother and these two children have made up some sort of wretched story that your brother and I had an affair! And that these children are our children!”
Illiam had no idea what he should say. However, he knew what he wanted to say, and when he knew what he wanted to say but not what he should say (and, admittedly, sometimes when he knew what he should say and what he wanted to say), he said what he wanted to say.
“Well, Lukas, I’m glad you’re finally coming clean to me, though honestly I wish Elian had told me. His own brother, and he doesn’t even tell me he’s dating his-”
“ARGH!” screamed Lukas, dropping to his knees. “You’re insufferable! Both you and your brother are- I don’t-”
Illiam looked to Illarion. “Illarion, why don’t you go read in your room, dear? Unless you know anything about these children, I don’t think you should have to listen to this conversation. Or if you want to say, that’s fine,”
Illarion was shocked by all this. But Uncle Elian had said that those children were his niece and nephew…. why had he suddenly changed the story? Or were the children telling the truth, and was that a lie?
But for whatever reason those two children told that story, Illarion felt inclined to trust them. They were nice to him, which most children weren’t, and seemed friendly enough. And whether they were his half-siblings or his cousins….Illarion would back them up.
“Actually, me and Serafina both met these children.” said Illarion. “Today, in fact. They were both very nice and well-behaved children. Jiro, he looks just like Uncle Elian, but with long hair, like mine, and Seva, she strongly resembles-” He was about to say Xander, but stopped himself. “Well, I think she does resemble somewhat her grandfather, Prince Sebastian, but she has his husband’s nose. Your nose, Dr. Lukas.”
Lukas glared at Illarion. “I don’t have children, Illarion, and those children are liars. Illiam, I need you to teleport me to Elian so that I can-”
“So that you can what?” asked Illiam. “Yell at him and his children? I don’t think so. If my son tells me they are who they’ve said they are, I’m more inclined to trust him than you.”
Lukas patted his face angrily. “But… but… they’re lying! They’re all lying!”
The palace guards had finally caught up to Lukas, and they stood behind him, looking nervously at Illiam. “Is this man harrasing you, Tsarevich?”
“Yes, I’d like him removed.” said Illiam.
“But I’m the Tsar’s brother!” replied Lukas angrily.
“The Tsar is out on a political trip, sir.” said the guard. “You can come back tomorrow when he’s here.”
Lukas glared at Illiam angrily as Illiam waved goodbye before closing the door telekinetically and locking it shut. “Now, dear, why didn’t you tell me about these children?”
“I thought Uncle Elian might want to tell you himself.” said Illarion, trying to look as sheepish as possible.
Illiam leaned over and rustled his son’s hair. “I’m sure he did. Now, are you really sure those two are telling the truth.”
“I don’t know.” said Illarion. “But I’d rather see Uncle Elian as true than Dr. Lukas.”
“Hm. Well, you know what they say, the bonds of friendship are silver but the bonds of family are gold..”
“Isn’t silver stronger than gold?” asked Illarion.
Illiam smirked at his son. “Yes, but gold is more expensive.”
“My goodness.” said Chrysal, feeding a swan a particularly large piece of lettuce. The swan clacked its beak hungrily, hoping to be given some nice bread instead, but Chrysal instead got more lettuce from her breakfast salad for the swan. “Elian and Lukas? What a match. Not the strangest relationship for either Ashbur brother… but certainly not something I was expecting in a million years.”
“I’m sitting right here, you know.” said Illiam, about to sneak a piece of bread to the swan.
“Yes, there you are…. sitting across the table from me, instead of in a jail cell for treason…. it’s very strange indeed.” replied Chrysal.
Helorie rolled his eyes. He of course was not eating breakfast, but always sat in during family breakfast because it was one of the few times the family was gathered in the same place during the day. In fact, it was often the only time. “As long as Elian is happy, I’m nobody to judge.”
Serafina was able to eat breakfast with the rest of the family because Akim wasn’t there to force her to eat breakfast in her room alone. She was sitting next to Illarion. “What about Uncle Lukas? Don’t you think he’s happy, too?”
Illiam huffed. “With the way he denied it? I’m honestly quite offended on Elian’s sake. I’d break up with any man who tried to deny his feelings for me that much.”
“Well then, it’s a good thing you’re married to a man who loves you so much that he ignored the fact you kidnapped him as an infant.” replied Chrysal, slicing up an apple for the rabbits.
“He kidnapped me too, mother.” said Danill.
Illiam rested his hand on his chin. “Sorry, does that have any relevance on the current conversation?”
“I just feel that people don’t often mention it. It’s always, ‘oh, kir, you married someone who kidnapped you as a child.’ Not ‘someone who kidnapped you and your brother’. I’m always forgotten.”
“A fair point, dear.” said Chrysal. “He kidnapped you and your brother, killed poor Maelys and Sebastian, com-”
Illiam tossed the swan a large chunk of bread, which it happily gobbled down. “You know, Chrysal, this is a conversation we’ve never had before. I can’t ever recall us having a conversation on these lines before. What a novel, original discussion we’re having-”
“Hm, you’re right, it’s very unique.” said Chrysal. “One would think that we’ve brought up these points many times before, maybe even warned-”
Helorie slammed his palms onto the table. “For the love of Melkar! Elian has children! So does Lukas! Could we possibly discuss that!? Children. I’ve heard you’ve met them.”
“They’re very nice.” said Serafina. “Sevvie reminds me a lot of my papa.”
“Your papa?” asked Illiam.
Serafina nodded. “I guess because she’s his uncle.”
It was quiet for a moment. Finally, Chrysal, asked, “Um, dear, did you mean….”
“Oops!” said Serafina. “I mean his daughter! No, I mean his niece. She’s his niece.”
The adults were mostly appeased with this explanation and didn’t question her stumbling, except for Helorie. He had oddly sensed truth in Serafina’s words. Xander and Elian…?
Well, Helorie could easily see the way that Xander stole glances at his brother-in-law Illiam, the way his voice changed, fluttered almost. Helorie had learned to read cues from those black and white eyes from Sebastian, and Xander was nearly the same. He looked at men the same way with those salt and pepper eyes. And Illiam and Elian were identical....
“Maybe they could come over.” said Helorie. “I’d certainly like to meet them both. I’m trying to picture Elian with children and despite him having raised Caden, I cannot picture it at all.”
“I’ve never even met Caden.” said Illiam.
“Well, I can sympathize with Elian.” replied Chrysal. “I certainly wish you’d never met my children.”
Illarion stood up, throwing his spoon down against the table. “I’m done with breakfast.”
Illiam was too busy yelling at Chrysal to go talk to Illarion himself. And despite his inexperience with children and Illarion in general, Helorie felt like someone should go comfort that child.
Illarion’s eyes were covered in tears. He lightly wiped them away from his face with the end of his sleeves.
“Um…. Illarion….” Helorie honestly really didn’t have any idea what to say, now that he thought of it. “Do you want to talk about what happened?”
It was silent for a moment before Illarion looked up at his great-uncle. “Do you think that Grandma Chrysal hates me?”
Helorie didn’t know what to tell this small child. He was only six years old, but due to the failures of aging magic, was emotionally and physically much older. Helorie knew it must be devastating for this small child’s grandmother to basically tell him that he shouldn’t exist.
“No. Of course not.” replied Helorie. He knew that was a useless thing to tell this child, but also knew it was true.
“Do you think Grandma Chrysal hates my father Illiam?” asked Illarion.
“Yes.” said Helorie. Illarion shrunk back slightly, and Helorie patted him on the knee. “I wanted to be honest with you. Your grandmother and your father have quite the history, and I think it will take a very long time for her to get over it. But you know what? She doesn’t like me very much either. Sometimes people can’t just get along. And that’s how things will always be. And what we need to do is rise above it and surround us with people who do like us.”
Illarion nodded, still wiping tears. “Now, I have a question for you, Illarion. Are those two children you met really Elian and Lukas’s children?”
“Yes, they are.” said Illarion, and Helorie could tell he was lying.
“I’m just a little curious as to how they had the children, hid them, and this is the first that we’ve ever heard of them. From a logistical point of view.”
“Do you really think I’m lying?” asked Illarion.
Helorie nodded. “I know you’re lying, but if you tell me you aren’t, I’ll pretend to believe you. But if you tell me what’s going on, I won’t tell anyone. I promise.”
Illarion looked down, clearly calculating, thinking, deciding. He looked down for nearly a minute, and Helorie nearly interupted him, but he stayed patient, hoping Illarion would make the right choice. Or at least a choice that made this all make sense for Helorie. He also cast a truth spell, stealthily, in case Illarion was practicing another lie.
Finally, Illarion looked up into Helorie’s eyes and whispered, “Do you believe in alternate universes?”
Oh no.
What had Helorie gotten himself into?

Author's Note: Apparently you shouldn't give birds bread. It's bad for them. 
I wrote the words breakfast salad but I want to know what a breakfast salad is real bad. 
Birds are just in this story. They live here. This is their home. 
This is also where the implied Selorie begins. God I love Selorie
Word Count: 2005 words
Date: February 18th, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment