Friday, September 16, 2016

Sniplet 83. The Parent Trap 6 [Parent Trap]

Helorie was practically frozen. He had no idea what to say to this child. What to tell him at all. Did he believe in alternate universes? What sort of question was that?
But despite himself, he nodded, slightly. “There are a lot of strange things in this world. I suppose they could exist, somewhere.”
Illarion hesitated. “They do. And Seva and Jiro come from an alternate universe where instead of Uncle Xander and Uncle Akim getting married, and my fathers getting married, Xander and my father Illiam were married instead.”
And that honestly sounded just about right. It matched with the way that Helorie knew Xander felt about Illiam, the stolen glances, the way that he would defend Illiam against their mother in law to the point where Chrysal so rarely said anything rude about Illiam when Xander was around.
So to hear that in some alternate corner of reality they’d gotten married seemed to make a lot of sense. “Well, Illarion, I think that-”
“Illarion!” shouted Illiam, coming down the hall. Pushing past Helorie, he swiftly picked up his son and hugged him tightly. “Illarion, how do you feel about going to visit your uncle Elian for a few days?”
“I don’t know.” said Illarion. “Can’t we just stay in the palace and hide from Grandma Chrysal?”
“I think I need a break from the palace for a while, dear.” replied Illiam.
Illarion looked to Helorie. “Can Great-Uncle Helorie come, too?”
“Sure, why not.” said Illiam. “If he wants to come.”
Helorie was honestly intrigued by the potential of this alternate universe and wanted to hear more, so he nodded.
“And let’s take Serafina!”
“Okay, slow down.” said Illiam. “I think if I try that they’ll arrest me for kidnapping again.”
“If she wants to come, they can’t arrest us both for kidnapping.” said Helorie with a shrug.
“I’m going to go ask her!” said Illarion, going off to ask his cousin.
Once the child was out of earshot, Illiam looked to Helorie. “Um, thank you for coming to talk to Illarion. I almost panicked a little when I realized I’d just left Illarion to cry by himself.”
“It’s no problem. I just wish Chrysal would consider who else she’s affecting when she’s criticizing you.” Helorie laughed slightly. “Or stop criticizing you! But that’ll happen on the same day she stops with me.”
“Why don’t you hate me like her?” asked Illiam. “I’ve always wondered that.”
“Well, I don’t hate your brother for the things he did before he changed. And I believe you’ve changed as well, Illiam. You’re a good father to Illarion. You’re trying your best to be a better person.”
After saying that, Helorie realized he had never really put those thoughts in words before. And that if had been several decades ago, he would have been quite content to still despise this man. He concluded he might be spending too much time with Maelys.
Illiam almost smiled at that. Almost. “Thank you, Helorie. That… that means a lot.”
“Well, I think that-”
Helorie was interupted by Serafina arriving with Illarion, jumping excitedly. “Can I really go!? Can I really go to Xiaomen!?”
“Of course you can.” replied Helorie. He looked to Illiam. “Do you think we should teleport through the palace, or ask your brother where he is first?”
“I’ll ask him.” replied Illiam. “Just one moment.”
Unaware of the conversation their grandfather had with Lukas, Sevvie and Jiro ate breakfast happily with Elian. Sevvie put sugar on her grapefruit, Jiro took another steamed bun from the table. Elian fed a peacock who had wandered into the house an overripe banana.
As Elian reached for a small plate of grapes and broke off a bunch of them so he could continue feeding the hungry peacock, he heard a mental ping in his head. /Elian, it’s me, Illiam. I’d like to meet your children! Why didn’t you tell me about them?/
Elian dropped the grapes and the peacock rushed to eat them. /Um! How did you find out about them? I guess you can come over. I’m at Sebastian’s./
/Sebastian’s, hm? Well, we’ll be right over. It’s me, Helorie, Serafina, and of course Illarion./
/What about Kir?/
/Of course Kir isn’t coming./
Elian sighed. He reached over to grab some more grapes for the peacock. /How did you find out about them, Illiam?/
/Lukas came over, all in a huff, and accused you of being a liar./
Elian felt really very bad about this. He was a liar, after all. /Alright. Come over in ten, okay? I’m going to tell Sebastian first./
/...Helorie’s already casting the spell./
Elian sighed again and got up from his seat. “Well, kids, your “uncle”, Vizier Helorie, and Illarion and Serafina are coming over, like right now. I’m going to go find Sebastian and t-”
“Tell me what?” asked Sebastian. “Sorry, I was just outside in the garden. Kevin killed another snake. I guess that’s a good thing, wouldn’t want any of my grandchildren to be bitten. Callistus! Darling! What are you doing in the house!?” Sebastian picked up the peacock, stroking him lovingly. “This is not where you live, you beautiful boy. You live outside. I would love it if you could live in here, but are a bird, and we all know that you would-”
Callistus squawked loudly and flew off as Helorie, Illiam, Serafina and Illarion appeared in a sudden flash of bright green light. Sebastian smiled widely to see them all. Running to Helorie, he hugged him closely and for a bit longer than Helorie was comfortable being hugged by Sebastian in public. While Helorie was being hugged, Illiam crossed the room to see his brother. He looked at Sevvie, who had dropped her spoon in shock, and Jiro, who had his bun halfway in his mouth. “You two must be Sevvie and Jiro. Jiro, you do look just like your father, and Sevvie, you look like….” Illiam turned his head, looking at Sevvie curiously. “Well, you look a lot like Xander or Daniys, honestly. A lot more than your actual father.”
“It’s because we’re related.” said Sevvie.
Illiam resisted the urge to laugh. “Anyway, as you’ve probably already guessed, I’m your Uncle Illiam! Elian, why didn’t you tell me about these two?”
Elian replied with the excuse he had spent all night coming up with. “Lukas told me not to.”
It admittedly wasn’t the greatest excuse, but Elian wasn’t a very good liar.
“Damn Lukas.” said Illiam, sitting down next to Elian. “Er, sorry children, darn Lukas.”
“It’s okay, you can swear in front of us.” said Sevvie.
“I’m doing my best not to swear around children.” replied Illiam. He looked to Elian. “Kir always gets on my case when I do. And I suppose I’m trying to expand my vocabulary.”
Elian wasn’t really sure what to say to that. “That’s nice?”
Serafina ran to the table after her grandfather was done hugging her. “Sevvie! Jiro! Hi!”
“Hi Serafina!” said Sevvie. “Wow, it’s so cool you could come visit. Guess you got to go to Xiaomen after all.”
“My parents don’t know!” said Serafina.
Elian blinked. “Um, Illiam, was that your idea? I’m not sure that-”
“I’ll fight Akim if he comes to complain.” said Helorie, resting his hands on the backs of the chairs that Elian and Illiam were sitting on. “Serafina, you deserve to have a vacation. Or at the very least a trip out of the house.”
“It’s going to be a lot of fun.” said Sevvie to Serafina. She reached down and picked up Callistus. “We can hang out and look at all these funky chickens.”
“Oh no, don’t call Callistus that.” said Sebastian, wishing he could cover the bird’s ears. “He’s very sensitive.”
Helorie sat on a bench in Sebastian’s enormous garden. While he’d never tell Sebastian this, he found it one of his favorite places in the world. Nothing bad ever happened in Sebastian’s garden. There were no terrorists ruining weddings, or dramatic revelations from siblings or fights between Chrysal and Illiam, or parents making their children cry. This place had never been spoiled. Elian and Illiam were talking by one of the trees, and the children were gathered near the elaborate enclosure where the peafowl lived.
Sebastian crept up behind Helorie, his footsteps so soft that Helorie was almost surprised when he placed a hand on Helorie’s shoulder. Helorie turned to look at Sebastian, who looked so happy Helorie could hardly stand it. “This is what I dreamed about, you know. This is what I wanted after the war, but never thought I would ever get to have. Just to live in happiness and peace, with my children, and my grandchildren, and the people who they loved. And the people who I love.”
And, after a moment, Helorie smiled softly. “I’m just so glad you’re happy. Those years you were Prince, I was always worried you would fall apart.”
“I almost did.” whispered Sebastian. “I think about how close I was to- To having to become someone I didn’t like. Someone who was made of nothing but failures.”
“Sebastian, you were a competent ruler for many years. You did the best you possibly could. And then you handed off the throne to someone who both was able to rule better than and who want to lead more than you. You were streets ahead of your father. You did everything that could be expected of you and more.”
“And now?”
“And now you deserve your happiness, Sebastian.”
Sebastian and Helorie both turned until they were facing each other, and as Helorie was beginning to rise to his feet, Sebastian grabbed his hand tightly. As he was about to grab his other hand, he was interrupted by the sudden appearance of Georg.
“Sebbie! Helorie? What are you- doesn’t matter. Sebbie, when were you going to tell me?”
“Tell you about Lukas?” asked Sebastian. He took a deep sigh as he let go of Helorie’s hand. “I was planning for us to all sit down and talk about it later, dear.”
“Yeah, well instead I got an angry call from Lukas like five minutes ago.” replied Georg. He looked at Sevvie and Jiro, all the way across the garden. “So I guess that makes Sevvie and Jiro our grandkids.”
“That’s how genealogy works.” replied Sebastian. “Oh, Georg, darling, aren’t you happy to have more grandchildren? Before this we just had Serafina, but now we have three times as many.”
“I’m not sure that’s how math works?” asked Georg, confused.
“It very much is.” replied Sebastian. “Sevvie and Jiro, and now we’re related to Elian.”
“Okay, yeah, Lukas and Elian. Sebbie, do you want to discuss how healthy a relationship between a twenty year old and a man who’s like, what’s Elian, sixty or some shit, is gonna be? Do you want to discuss that apparently this relationship went so south that Lukas refuses to even admit its existence?”
“He was 52 at the time, I’d say, and Lukas was 20, right?” said Sebastian. “That’s not that bad. Helorie, wasn’t Dmitri 50 when he and Chrysal got married?”
“Dmitri was 42 and Chrysal was 28.” replied Helorie. “Dmitri never got to see fifty.”
There was an awkward silence for almost a minute.
Finally, Sebastian asked, “But you’re over ninety years old, right?”
“I’m a little over eighty.” replied Helorie.
Sebastian was shocked. He had never realized that Helorie was younger than Maelys.
“I had to tell Great-Uncle Helorie.” said Illarion. “He can sense lies.”
Jiro frowned. “Well, at least he didn’t confront you in front of anyone else. I hope we can get him to keep our secret.”
“He said he would.” replied Illarion. “And I don’t think he’d lie.”
Serafina looked to Sevvie. “Any luck on getting home?”
“Not yet.” sighed Sevvie. “We haven’t even made any progress.”
“Well, that just means a longer amount of time that you can spend here with us!” exclaimed Serafina.
Sevvie frowned. “Yeah, that’s true.”
She reached into a big and pulled out a huge handful of birdseed, scattering it for the many dozens of peafowl to eat. “What’s the next move?”
“Maybe the universe sent us here for a reason.” said Jiro. “Maybe we need to figure out what that reason is?”
“Do you think the universe here is also Anya?” asked Sevvie. “Or a different giant lady?”
“I don’t know.” said Jiro.
“Who’s Anya?” asked Serafina.
“I guess she’s like your half-sister.” said Sevvie. “She’s a big snake lady and she almost killed dad once and she’s the universe.”
“Children!” said Sebastian, coming over with Georg and Helorie. He smiled at them all. “Darlings, Georg knows.”
“Yup. I know.” said Georg. “And I wish you kids had told me!”
Sevvie looked sheepish. “We shoulda told you, Grandpa. We’re sorry.”
Georg reached over and rustled Sevvie’s head. “Aw, it’s okay. I forgive you both. How can I be mad at my grandchildren?”
Elian and Illiam stood underneath a tree. “I’m just glad you’ve found someone, Elian. And here I thought you’d be mooning over Ulmer forever.”
“Yup, I found someone.” said Elian. “I sure found Lukas.”
He looked up at the cloudy blue sky. After a few moments, Illiam asked, “What’s wrong, Elian? Are you upset because Lukas is denying the relationship?”
“It hurts, a lot.” said Elian. He was thinking about how it hurt to lie to Illiam, even after all the lies Illiam had told him, so he could sound convincing. “It really hurts.”
And for the first time in nearly three decades, Illiam turned around and hugged his brother tightly. “I know. I know it does, Elian! Aaia, relationships, they’re such a mess!”
Elian snickered. “You still use Aaia’s name to swear?”
“There’s some habits I don’t think I’ll ever break.”
Elian hugged his brother back, trying not to cry. This new body made it very easy. After many moments, Illiam let go. “Elian, can I confess something to you? Something you cannot tell anyone? I’ve just wanted to tell someone for so long and there’s nobody I can trust like…. like you!”
“Sure.” said Elian, hoping his brother hadn’t turned back to terrorism or something awful like that. “You can trust me.”
“I never loved Kir.”

Author's Note: The drama increase! Dun dun dun! What will happen next in.... Parent Trap
Callistus's squack prevented Sebbie from having to talk about how his birds shit all over everything forever so good job on teleporting right then guys. 
I sure love the peak Selorie in this beautiful chapter
also i'm crying at Illiam being like "i have to confess something to you dramatically, Elian" and Elian's first thought is "oh boy i hope my brother isn't a terrorist!" 
Word Count: 2375 words
Date: February 19th, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

No comments:

Post a Comment