Friday, September 16, 2016

Sniplet 92. The Parent Trap 8: It Return [Parent Trap]

“Lunch!” proclaimed Sebastian. “Lunch for a full house. Elian, Illiam, will you two be eating today?”
“Sure.” replied Illiam.
“Whenever you’re making anything!”
“It’s just going to be sandwhiches.” replied Sebastian, slicing the bread.
“Is there anything we can do to help, grandfather?” asked Ilarion.
“No, but thank you.” said Sebastian. “Or, oh, actually, maybe, you could get the dishes from the cabinet? That one.” he pointed with the hand that wasn’t chopping bread.
“We’ll help get some too.” said Sevvie.
“And maybe the glasses?” suggested Sebastian. “In the cupboard next to them.” The bread now sliced, he started putting ham and other toppings on the sandwiches, leaving room for people to add their own. Illarion had brought over the plates, and Sebastian started putting done sandwiches onto the plates. Elian and Illiam came forward to grab sandwiches, and Xander waited patiently for everyone to have had theirs before he got anything. Sebastian found that odd, but it was a habit he’d had ever since marrying Akim. His son had been different ever since marrying that man. In little ways, mostly, but ones that Sebastian still easily noticed.
Once the sandwiches were done, Sebastian reached into his magically chilled closet and brought out the juices. “I have juice, milk, and wine. What does everyone want?”
“Do you have any water?” asked Elian.
“No, though I could go get some?”
Elian shrugged. “What sort of juice is it?”
“Papaya or apple.”
“I’ll have papaya.”
“Sure, me too.” said Illiam.
“Can I have wine?” asked Serafina.
“Serafina, I am going to veto that.” said Xander. “Perhaps later.”
Serafina sighed. “Awwww.”
Helorie sat next to Sebastian, not eating because he was unable to eat. Illiam was the only one who had put lettuce into his sandwich. Sebastian let out a contented sigh as he ate his own sandwich. “I’ll have to think of what to cook with all of you here tonight. Seraphina, Xander, I’ll show you two your rooms after lunch. I hope that you can stay a while.”
“I’d just want to stay here forever if I could.” stated Seraphina.
Xander looked worriedly to his child. “Seraphina, you do not mean that. You’d want to go back to the palace eventually.”
“I don’t think that’s true.” said Seraphina. “If I could stay here and father wouldn’t take me away, I would. Papa, you and I could just stay there.”
“That would cause a major diplomatic incident.” replied Xander, resting his head on his hands. “Seraphina, please.”
“Are you really that sad in the palace?” asked Elian.
“I just like it so much more better here.”
“Well, we can’t all do just what we want to do, Seraphina.” said Xander, staring at his hands. “if we did, the world would be a… a very different place. You have your responsibilities at the palace, and so do I. We can stay here for a few days, yes, but soon we’ll have to…” He looked up from his hands and into the distance. “We’ll have to return.”
It was silent for several moments. Nobody really knew what was the appropriate response to that. Sebastian considered completely changing the topic, or “accidentally” casting a spell to unleash the peacocks into the house. He knew that Xander wanted this, wanted this so badly- he’d asked him for it- but also knew that he couldn’t have it for very long. It was something that Xander desperately needed, and honestly, Sebastian wished he could have for the rest of his life. It made Sebastian feel terrible to see his son so exhausted, and yet having to tell his daughter they both couldn’t have something that they both wanted.
Finally, Seraphina sighed. “Father’s never going to let us leave home ever again.”
“He may never might.” agreed Xander.
Xander sat outside, watching Seraphina and the other children talk after lunch on the other side of the garden. He was simply on a bench, thinking to himself of what he had said. That honestly he wanted badly to just stay here with Seraphina and never go back to the palace. And that his father had told him to uncover the secrets of the mystery children, Sevvie and Jiro.
Honestly, his theory was that they were somehow Daniys’s children. How would it work? He didn’t know. Why did they look like Elian? There were a lot of blonde people in the world, it could be a coincidence. Sure, the facial features were pretty similar, but…
“Can I sit here?” asked Illiam.
Xander looked up at Illiam. “Of course.” Illiam sat down and Xander moved over slightly to allow the man full room.
After a moment, Illiam said, “I want to leave the palace sometimes too, you know. Take Illarion somewhere… somewhere else. I don’t know where. Somewhere like here, I guess. I didn’t actually tell Kir I was leaving, he’s still asleep. Maybe he’ll come over later. I hope he won’t.”
It was quiet for an awkward moment before Xander finally said, with a small laugh, “Don’t marry Alkavovs, I guess.”
Illiam, after a moment, laughed as well. “Someone should have had given us that advice years ago, huh?”
Xander quickly corrected himself. “Not that I regret… certain things. Not that I regret Seraphina at all.”
“Same with Ilarion.” lied Illiam. Then he felt horrible. He knew that he regretted bringing Illarion into the world for selfish reasons, but.. well, Illarion was his son. He supposed it was more accurate to say- or er, think- that he had regrets about how things had happened. Regrets that Illarion wasn’t brought into this world without motive.
“But were her father a different person, a far kinder person, I would not mind at all.” finished Xander.
“But then she’d be a different person, wouldn’t she?” asked Illiam.
Xander shrugged. “I mean in an imaginary world.”
Seraphina stared at her father and Illiam sitting on a bench across the garden. Thankfully, she couldn’t hear them talking from here, though she was wondering what they were talking about. Finally, she turned around to see Sevvie and Jiro.
“I’m just going to stay here.” she finally announced. “If they want to take me away, I’ll be kicking and screaming.”
“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” said Illarion.
“I know it’s not.” said Serafina. “Which is why I shall do it.”
Sevvie and Jiro were fixiated on their parents talking to each other. They weren’t married in this world, but the way they looked at each other…
“We’ve gotta plan to get the dads alone somehow.” decided Sevvie.
“Maybe Great-Uncle Helorie can somehow help?” asked Illarion.
Sevvie nodded, slowly. “We can get him to get Grandpa and Uncle Elian out. Then we’ll hike it out of here. And they’ll be all alone.”
“Being alone is one thing, but then what?” asked Jiro.
“We’ll have to figure out a second step.” said Illarion. “Maybe get them to do something romantic together.”
“Eew… like kiss.” said Sevvie.
“That’s skipping a few steps.” said Ilarion. “They’ve probably got to talk first, and….” Illarion hesitated. He really didn’t know what the other steps were. “I don’t know. Give each other…. flowers?”
“There’s lotsa flowers here.” said Sevvie. “They’ll have all the flowers they want.”
“That’s true.” said Illarion. “So I think they’ll be good on that step.”
Helorie chuckled slightly. “You want me to somehow convince Sebastian to leave your parents at home?”
“Please, Great-Uncle Helorie, can you help us?” asked Illarion. “We really think this is a good plan.”
“This is what we were sent to this world to do.” said Sevvie. “And probably once we do it a big ol’ portal will open up back to our reality and we’ll wave g’bye and cry and our dads will probably be really relieved to see us again because it’s been at least two days and they probably think we were kidnapped or something.”
Helorie was honestly more than a little ready to set up Xander and Illiam together. Xander was quite miserable with Akim, and honestly, Illiam wasn’t right for Kir either. “Alright. I’ll suggest to Sebastian an activity, something that Xander would hate.”
“Horse-looking.” suggested Sevvie.
“I don’t really know if that’s an activity.” said Helorie.
“Horse-smelling.” tried Sevvie again.
“Again, not really a thing people do.”
“What about horse-racing?” offered Jiro.
“Yes. That’s a real thing. Alright, I think that could be fun. But also a thing Xander would not enjoy. I’ll suggest it tonight.”
“Horse racing?” asked Elian. “Wow, I’ve never been. Didn’t know if they had it here in Xiaomen.”
“I’ve been once or twice.” said Sebastian. “It’s nice, but it doesn’t really capture the thrill of a far superior racing sport- ostrich racing.”
“I’d like to go.” said Illiam. “Maybe bet on a horse or two.”
Xander was visibly sweating. “Horse? Races?”
“You don’t have to go, papa.” said Seraphina. “Maybe someone could stay home with you?”
But Xander didn’t go along. No, instead he stood up firmly. “I will go. I would not want to inconvenience anyone. I will look at the horses. Running… trotting… standing….”
Xander stood up for several moments, shuddering, before Sebastian offered, “What about ostrich racing instead? It’s truly an exciting sport.”
“I thought of that,” lied Helorie, “But there is no ostrich racing in Xiaomen.”
“Damnit.” said Sebastian. “Oh, sorry children! Darn it! Well, I suppose it can’t be helped. Xander, are you sure you want to try it.”
“Yes. I’ll overcome my fears.” said Xander. “And if I don’t, you will be right there.”

Author's Note: We ended on such a frigging cliffhanger! Will Xander overcome his fear of the animals known as horses? But then it just sort of.... drops off. I think this might be the thing I'll write next after completing the upload of all this shit and my 47-part analysis. 
Word Count: 1586 words
Date: April 28th, 2016 

No comments:

Post a Comment