Friday, September 16, 2016

Sniplet 84. The Parent Trap 7- He Rolled a 20 [Parent Trap]

“You… you really never did?” asked Elian.
“I…. I don’t know.” Saying it out loud seemed far more serious than just thinking it to himself. “M-maybe for a little while. But once I realized that he could pardon me…” He looked down, slightly ashamed, but trying to look more ashamed than he really was. “I stopped trying to make the relationship work and started pretending it was already working. When we argued, instead of trying to work out our feelings, I would just go along with whatever Kir said. I wanted him to love me. To want to marry me.”
Elian looked disappointed. After a moment, he said, “Well, it looks like neither of us will ever find love. Illiam, I love Lukas. But it hurts so much for him to deny everything. To pretend like our children aren’t even ours.”
“It’s very cruel of him.” replied Illiam. “You have such cute children, Elian. Look at them, playing with Illarion and Serafina. Playing with the birds. I hadn’t realized Sebastian owned so many birds.”
“Yeah, he’s a real bird enthusiast.” said Elian, before letting out a long, breezy sigh. “I guess it would be too much for someone to claim they wanted to be with… with me.” He slumped down onto a bench. “Even if you really don’t like Kir very much, he says he likes you. And that’s more than I’ve ever gotten from anyone. Out loud, at least. Oh, it’s all fine and nice for Lukas to say he loves me in private, but if he can’t even tell his own father… and Sebastian would accept everything!”
“Lukas is a bastard.” said Illiam with a snarl. “Honestly, Elian, you deserve much better.”
“No, I don’t.” said Elian, looking to the ground. Finally, the elan began to cry. “I really, really don’t.”
Jiro, who had been been quietly spying on all the conversations happening around him, listening in with psychic sensors, finally brought all his thoughts together.
“Maybe we’re here to fix things.” He told Sevvie.
“Fix things?” asked Sevvie. “I dunno, Jiro. Everything seems okay.”
“I think that everything in this world seems okay on the surface, but beneath all that…” Jiro shook his head. “I don’t know. Are people really happy?”
Sevvie sighed. “Can we ever really say if people are really happy, Jiro? You think the universe would pick us up and throw us all the way over here justa solve people’s relationship issues?”
Jiro looked to Serafina. “Serafina, do you think your parents love each other?’
“I don’t even know if I would say that they like each other some of the time.” admitted Serafina.
“And what about you, Illarion?” asked Jiro.
Illarion paused. After a moment, he said, “Well, I don’t like my father Kir very much. Honestly, I feel like my dad kind of agrees with me too much when I complain about him.”
Sevvie rolled her eyes. “So, what are we gonna do, Jiro? Get the dads back together?”
There were a few moments of awkward silence.
“You mean that-”
“If they love each other in your world…” said Serafina. “Then I think I want to try!”
Illarion sighed. “Alright. Fine. I’m in. As long as we can ensure that Illiam gets custody of me.”
The children put their hands together, but before they could figure out what to say when lifting them, Sevvie had an objection. “How are we even gonna be able to figure out how to get the Xan-Dad here?”
Before Jiro could open his mouth to give a suggestion, Akim arrived in the garden in a giant burst of flame, scorching several plants and deeply upsetting many of the peacocks. Xander was standing behind him, looking nervous, but the moment he saw Serafina he ran to her.
Akim strode over to where Helorie was standing and grabbed him by the collar, lifting him up effortlessly. “How fucking dare you kidnap my child! You don’t think she has things to do? You don’t think that you need to ask my permission before you take her anywhere!?’
Helorie rolled his eyes, remaining cool under this intense pressure. “I’m sorry. I can’t take my own great-niece on a trip to visit her own grandfather? Just a simple day trip? I’m sure one day from her studies, actually relaxing won’t hurt anything.”
“She’s not your fucking child, she’s mine!” screeched Akim. “Do you understand that? Do you understand that Serafina is not yours to control?”
“Yes, I do, but I don’t think you have.” replied Helorie.
Akim threw Helorie, who quickly cast a flight spell, stopping his movement suddenly and hovering in the air in front of Akim. Akim’s ran towards him, but was interrupted by Illarion.
“Please don’t hurt Great-Uncle Helorie!” said Illarion, spreading out his arms. “It was my idea!”
Akim glared at Illarion. “I’m not going to actually hurt him, he’s a lich. And I don’t care if it was your idea, children have stupid ideas all the time, it is the responsibility of adults to stop them from enacting them.”
Xander, on the other side of the garden, hands on Serafina’s shoulders, looked to his husband worriedly. “I don’t see the harm in it, Akim. Serafina wanted to visit Xiaomen anyways. I can train her in whatever she missed on the weekend.”
Akim hardly even looked at Xander. “Don’t defy me.”
“I’m not. I’m merely suggesting this isn’t as bad as you think it is. Why, Serafina should visit her grandfather. Father, you are pleased with this visit?”
“As I am pleased whenever my grand-daughter gets to visit!” exclaimed Sebastian. “Please, Akim, let them stay!”
Akim sighed, turning back around. “Fine, do whatever you want. Just don’t be upset with me when these children are lazy, do-nothing idiots!”
In another large blast of fire Akim vanished as quickly as he had came. He had left Xander here.
Sevvie and Jiro looked at it each other. It was almost as if the universe was going along with their scheme.
“Elian, Illiam!” said Xander, walking towards the brothers. “Illiam, I am glad you took Serafina here. I wish she could visit my parents more often. Elian, it is nice to see you as always. I hear you are dating my brother.”
“I don’t really know if I’d call it dating.” said Elian. “He refuses to even acknowledge my existence…..”
“I am ashamed of him.” said Xander. “If you and I were dating and had two children together, I would never deny you in front of my family. In fact, I would have told them long ago, and we would most likely be married by this point. We would have a beautiful home together and be very happy.”
Illiam looked from Elian to Xander. “Um, what are you trying to say, Xander? You’ve tried one brother, now try the other?”
Xander turned beet red and looked down, covering his face. “Goodness no! I am- I wasn’t even suggesting- I’m the Tsar!”
Resting a hand on Xander’s shoulder, Illiam smirked at him. “It was a joke, Xander. But seriously, though, I’m now wishing you’d got with Elian rather than Lukas.”
Xander looked up, only to see that Sevvie and Jiro approached. “Ah, there you are! You two are the children I saw yesterday! Seva, with the beautiful name. Elian, we have similar tastes in names. Seva is almost what Serafina was named. Jiro, now that I see you yet again, you look very much like your father, Elian. Why, you’re a little version of him, but with much longer hair and squishier cheeks.”
Elian placed his hands directly on top of Jiro’s head, careful not to be stabbed by the horns. “Yup, that’s what Lukie and I always say, Jiro’s a little miniature me.”
“That’s me.” said Jiro. “A very small Elian.”
“And I’m Sevvie!” said Sevvie, throwing out her arms. “The #1 Original Sevvie around!”
“You look like your Aunt Daniys.” said Xander. “I don’t know how you inherited your grandfather’s eyes, but you certainly did.”
Sevvie shrugged. “Who even knows how genetics work anyway.”
“Geneticists, I guess.” said Illiam.
“Father, please.” said Xander, being hugged by Sebastian. “Father, please, there’s no reason for this many hugs.”
“Darling, I haven’t seen you in months!” exclaimed Sebastian. “How have you been doing in the palace? Have you been eating enough? Feeling alright? Anything wrong? Anything a father should know?”
“Father,” repeated Xander, “Please.”
“I just want to know if my son is happy.” said Sebastian.
“I haven’t been happy in a very long time.” replied Xander. He paused. “Don’t repeat that to anyone. It is very draining. Being the Tsar. Having no power. Being a handsome figurehead. Would you mind if Serafina and I stayed here for a few days? If her father doesn’t let me, would you mind if I just stayed here for a few days?”
“Of course not, Xander!” said Sebastian, giving him a final squeeze. “You know you can always be here. I know what it’s like, being in charge, but feeling like you have no real power. It was always either that or too much power in Hell… Anyway, darling, do you want me to slice up some cantaloupe? It’s your favorite.”
“I don’t think you’re remembering your children’s favorite fruits correctly, but I do enjoy cantaloupe.” said Xander. “I would like some.”
He followed Sebastian into the house, and once they were in the kitchen, Sebastian erected a quick anti-scrying spell. “Xander, I hate to ask you to do something for me because you said you wanted to just relax!”
“Father, I would like to feel useful.” said Xander, leaning on the countertop. “What is it you require?”
“I want you to figure out what’s really going on with those two children. It’s taking so much out of me to pretend to believe their story.” said Sebastian. “But I visited Lukas this morning- very early in the morning, very quickly- and he’s not lying.”
Xander blinked. “Are you sure?”
“I hate having to pretend like I’m so gullible, having to lie to your father, but they’re just children! What am I supposed to do!?”
“So they’re not even your real grandchildren?” asked Xander, shocked.
“I think they are.” said Sebastian. “Seva, she looks like she belongs in the family, and there’s no illusions on her. And Jiro, he looks just like Elian.”
“Or Illiam.” stated Xander.
Sebastian blinked. “Alright, true, but not really a useful fact, Xander.”
“Can you not ask Maelys to ask Setelli?” asked Xander.
“I did.” said Sebastian. He looked at Xander, then beckoned him in with a finger. Xander leaned in. “She didn’t know anything about these children.”
“Maelys or Setelli?”
“Setelli, Xander!”
“Oh.”
Sebastian rested his hands on Xander’s shoulders. “Can I trust you with this, darling?”
“Of course you can.”
“Then I’ll slice you up some cantaloupe.”

Author's Note: Remember when Sevvie wasn't so associated with peacocks? Now they are him and he is them. The peacock king. Flocks of them. He poses dramatically and they fly out from behind them. They descend
Xander's favorite fruit is probably something like a blood orange or a pomegranate. At the very least he claims they are.
Word Count:  1807 words
Date: February 19th, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment