Saturday, September 17, 2016

Sniplet 94. Lukas II (Daniys)

Daniys

Daniys bit down into a sandwich. “I didn’t think a god zone would have a cafeteria,” she said, after swallowing the bite. “I thought there would be some sort of god kitchen and a giant dining room.” “Hundreds of thousands of people live or are temporarily staying here.” replied Sebastian.“I thought it was millions.” said Von Wolff.“I don’t know.” confessed Sebastian. “I should, but the number is a lot and it keeps changing. Plus I don’t really deal with the things on the Elian half of the zone. I mean, I know a lot about them, but the Maëlys-zone is the place I’m charge of.” “If you’re in charge, shouldn’t you know how many people live there?” asked Daniys.Sebastian sighed. “Look. It’s hard to do a census, you know? And we have been making good progress moving the Azeren refugees to permanent homes. In fact, I’ve heard that the Azeren at the north pole are considering establishing a country thanks to all the new citizens. Cassandra, thank your husband for all the druidic help. Where is, by the way?”“Managing things in the palace, or so I’ve been told.” replied Cassandra. “He’s really sorry that he can’t come visit me, but right now he’s the only one in the palace who can do it since both Anya and Helorie are gone and Kir is useless for that sort of thing. He said Esfir might come over in a bit and he’ll come over.” “That’s nice of him.” said Sebastian. “Helorie and Anya should be getting back to the palace soon, don’t you think? I don’t think there’s really any reason for them to stay here any longer.” “Well, I mean, Helorie had to heal me, and I think he said he was going to find Anya after that.” replied Cassandra. “So maybe they’ll come back soon and Danill can come here, or I’ll go home.” She sighed and picked at a salad with a fork. “I don’t really know if I want to come back to the palace. I guess it is home, but…”“You and Bara can stay here as long as you want!” quickly said Sebastian. “I mean, Lukas has been staying here for months.” “Thanks, dad.” said Cassandra. “I think I’d like to start research into this spell thing or whatever it was that called all this, or maybe the process they used on my arm.” “Oh!” said Sebastian. “While I’m thinking of it, Elian said there’s a giant monster in the earth that can’t be killed. How would you deal with it? We’re just trying to come up with ideas.” “Can you turn it to stone?” asked Cassandra.“Get someone bigger to eat it.” offered Daniys.“It can teleport.” said Sebastian. “And it’s very big. But the stone thing might work.” “Get someone bigger to eat it and sync the teleportation.” continued Daniys. “Build it a big prison and put anti-teleportation stuff on it. Teach it how to love. Yeah, you know what, that’s it. Make another giant monster and have them fall in love.”“It’s an idea….” said Sebastian, seemingly considering this as an idea.“You’ve spent too long with Kalev.” said Von Wolff. “They would have thousands of baby monsters and those would destroy the world.” Sebastian laughed. “You’re just upset I’m not considering your brilliant idea, ‘Piss the monster off enough that it flies away and attacks another planet.’ At best that would mean devastation for Kenisal, and at worst it would just make it want to kill us more.” “I’m still giving Maëlys that idea. I think it’s good.” “I’m getting married.” very suddenly said Daniys.“What?” exclaimed Sebastian. “I… Daniys?!” “That came out of nowhere.” said Cassandra.“I’ve been meaning to tell you all for weeks.” said Daniys. “I just haven’t…found the right time.”“I don’t think that was it.” said Von Wolff.Daniys shrugged. “Yeah, I realize that, but I had to say it. Look, wow, that’s over, I told you.” “I didn’t even know you were dating someone, Daniys!” Sebastian looked very confused. “Why haven’t you introduced us to her before?” “I don’t know.” said Daniys. “Well, I do know. Look at our family, dad. We’ve got an angel exarch, three of the greatest alchemical researchers of all time, a somewhat reformed murder-god, Ehimay, a transphobic asshole who I am going to have to very carefully introduce to Brigitta-”“Brigitta? Is that her name?” asked Sebastian.Daniys took a breath. “Yeah. She’s retired military, married once, has seven kids.”Sebastian’s eyes gleamed with the possibility of seven new grandchildren. Step-grandchildren, sure, but did it really matter? “We have to meet her, Daniys. I mean, I- I want to meet her. If that’s alright.”“She wants to meet you all, too.” said Daniys, hesitantly. “Maybe when things die down here, I can bring her over?”“Things never die down here.” said Von Wolff. “That’s not a thing that happens.”“It’s just….” Daniys sighed, putting her head in her hands. “I don’t worry a lot about things. Or I try not to. But let’s not pretend like what happened here today isn’t a typical day in our family.” “I lost an arm,” said Cassandra. “Usually we can…. we can fix things like that.” “Maybe we won’t meet up here.” said Sebastian, thinking aloud. “Bad things tend to happen here. I suppose it’s a major target...”“Oh, yeah, we’ll just bring the whole family to some restaurant and pretend to be normal.” replied Daniys.“We could always try it once.” said Von Wolff with a shrug. “Hard to get Xander and Illiam in a restaurant, though. They’re hard to miss.” “And I’m not?” asked Sebastian. “True, I guess.”“That’s it, too.” said Daniys. “Brigitta spent so many years of her life opposing Xander.”“Yes, well, so have I, and I raised him.” replied Sebastian. “That’s true. That’s true. And you’re assuming Illiam would be there?”“I mean, he’s basically your brother in law now. I don’t know if he and Xander are planning to get “married”-” Von Wolff put air quotes around married, “but let’s be real. They live together, they’re both emperors of Hell, they have three kids together.”“Speak of the devil.” said Cassandra. Xander and Illiam were approaching the table, holding hands and looking like their argument was over, or at least paused for now. “Hello! That’s me!” said Xander. “Unless you mean the figure of speech, in which case you are also probably talking about me.” “I’m getting married, Xander.” said Daniys. Xander and Illiam looked at each other, and Illiam smiled softly. “Us too.” said Illiam. “Us too.”


Author's Note: This font is off because I posted this whole thing in a comment and it made it real small. a real little boy (story) 
Length: 1,105 words. a real little boy (story)
Date: July 22nd, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment