Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Sniplet 53. Novae (Pt. 4, Union) [Novae] [Snooplet]

Helorie sits, in front of a mirror, and wills his hand to stop shaking. Why does it keep shaking? Why won’t it stop? And why was being alive so hard? There were so many components to it, being alive was an intricate clockwork system, never stopping, never ceasing. All the organs worked together, blood, breath, bile, and they could never rest.
Helorie tries his best to remember if being alive was always so awful. If there was always this terrible, tired, soft-brain pain. “Knock knock.” says Anya, and he turns around and watches her come in. “How is our new resident of the land of the living?”
“Terrible.” says Helorie. “Anya, er, is being alive supposed to hurt? My head aches, and I can’t get my body to stop shaking, and I feel so out of it.”
Anya thinks. “Have you been remembering to do everything, Helorie? You know, all the living people stuff? Eat, drink, go to the bathroom, sleep?”
Helorie blinks. “I-I may have not have eaten anything since I came back to life.”
Anya’s eyes go wide and alarmed. “What? Oh, Helorie! No wonder you feel so awful!” She pats him on a shoulder and he stands up. Now that Helorie’s alive, he notices little things about Anya more. Like, she’s taller than him. “Let’s get you something to eat, and a nice big glass of water straight away! Have you still been casting spells?”
Helorie weakly nods. How could he forget something as critical as eating?! “Oh, gods, Anya, I don’t know how I forgot I have to eat again.”
The young woman simply strokes Helorie’s arms. “It’s okay, Helorie. You’ve been dead for hundreds of years. Being alive again must be such a shock. Come on, let’s go get some food.”
Eating is wierd, too- there’s a strange mechanical chew chew swallow to it, swallowing being the hardest part. Helorie had forgotten how taste was- he had forgotten how powerful and amazing of a sense that it was, and eating was not only taste but smell, sight, and texture as well.
So many things are overwhelming, and Helorie is completely unused to them. He wonders if this was what Dmitri felt with his sensory differences, if he paid attention to every small thing that was familiar and yet completely new.
Helorie pointed down to the set of workers who were on the ground, moving large pieces of adamantine that had been forged earlier that day. “Alright, that’s a foot piece, put it there and I’ll move it into place.” The workers gently placed the piece of that ultra-hard material down, and Helorie flew down and telekinetically moved it into place, before stretching out his hands at the assembled pieces, magically willing them to become one.
“Helorie!” said Dmitri, appearing on the teleportation platform with Chrysal. “Wow, it looks…. wow, it looks like a giant foot and a skeleton!”
Helorie sighed as he flew next to Dmitri, hovering in the air and examining his work so far. “I know it looks rather incomplete, but the inner skeleton and control pod is done, and that’s been the most difficult part. Crafting and enchanting every single bone and ligament for the proper channeling of magical energy, and creating the brain of the whole apparatus.”
“Why is the brain so important?” asked Chrysal. “What about the heart?”
“It needs a brain to think and move.” replied Helorie.
“Will the robot think with its brain, because it doesn’t have a heart?” asked Chrysal.
“Everyone thinks with their brain. Your heart is for blood.”
Chrysal shook her head. “I don’t think that’s true.”
Helorie wanted this conversation to be over, now, and then Dmitri butted in. “Aren’t the lungs responsible for something important?” added Dmitri.
“What, besides breathing?”
Dmitri shrugged. “Look, I never took fancy anatomy classes like you. Does the construct thing need lungs?”
“No. It doesn’t need to breathe. It will be powered by pure magical energy, which I will give it. That is all it will need. And then it will move perfectly.”
“I can’t believe that Jeh Deva girl kidnapped Ekaterina.” says Anya. “After all our plotting for the throne, she just has to swoop and and give it to us. I hope that us being in control of Uldok isn’t another one of Xander’s plots.”
“I don’t think she kidnapped her, just let her into a position where she’d be kidnapped.”
“Whatever she did!” exclaims Anya. The woman sighs, leaning into Helorie, who is shocked by the sudden gesture.
“IF Xander has any plots, it’s that you’re the last person who’s really in line for the throne. If you died, it would revert to…. Kir, I think? Gods, he’s the last person I’d want in control of Uldok.”
Anya nods. “Anyone but us two, huh?”
“You’re the Tsartisa-to-be, Anya.” says Helorie. Anya’s coronation is at the beginning of next month. Their quest for the throne is now just a waiting game. “And who will I be in your dynasty, my empress? Your Grand Vizier?”
Anya smiles at Helorie, poking a cheek. “You know I’ve offered you a job far greater than that. I’ll say it again, in case you thought I was joking the first time- Helorie, will you marry me?”
“And like I said the first time, give me a little time to think, dear. I know we have very powerful feelings for each other. But it’s a huge commitment. Especially since we’ve spent such little time as a couple.”
Anya lets out a long, breezy sigh. “Okay, but we all know what your answer will be, when you’re ready.” Helorie wraps his arms around her, and Anya leans into him some more, resting on his soft bulk.
“Then let me get ready for it.”
Itzicatl and Esfir’s engagement is the talk of the decade. If successful, Uldok, Navine and Haimen will have a relationship stronger than they’ve ever had before. And Helorie had never seen his niece happier than when she was with Itzicatl. She was not the angry child or young woman that he knew, with Itzicatl she’s truly happy. Helorie would see Esfir randomly smiling at dinner or around the palace or whenever, a remarkable change from her usual sour demeanor.
The whole palace was consumed in wedding planning, even Helorie was wrapped up in the process of trying to figure out various aspects of the elaborate nuptial celebrations. But he didn’t care about that. Esfir and her brothers were so happy, and it- It was so weird that it should be unusual, but it was.
But the night before it all fell apart, Helorie, when returning to his room heard Itzicatl and Esfir arguing, in hushed voices that he only barely heard. “I can’t believe that- this was- this was the one thing that we could not do!”
“I know. I FUCKING KNOW!” replied Esfir. “I know, Itzicatil, I know that-”
“Esfir. Please, don’t cry. We can do this, okay? I’m sure there’s some way we can- I know she can’t die, or bad things happen but- just… delay things?”
“Delay things?”
“Delay the- shit. Someone’s outside.” As Itzicatl went out to check, Helorie hurried into his room and tried to decide whether he should piece together or forget everything he had heard.
In the end, he chose the latter option.
But the next morning, the formal wedding was called off, and the sudden happiness left the palace, seemingly never to return.
Arianna strokes Helorie’s hand as if she can’t believe it’s there. “I just…. wow. This is gonna sound horrible, but to have you here, my living dad, I just can’t- I never thought this was going to be anything I’d ever get to experience.”
Helorie does kind of feel bad about what Arianna had just said. Was he lesser when dead? Is he more of a person now, alive? But he also understands she’s a human being with feelings and irrational impulses and nods. “It’s very different, Arianna. And I think I may be able to understand you better as a father now. Now that I have my full range of feelings again. And I know my life will be changing now, in so many ways. Er, both of us should prepare for big changes.”
Arianna raises an eyebrow. “Yeah, I heard you and Anya are dating or something?”
“She asked me to marry her.”
Anya is silent for a very long period of time, and Helorie adds, “I told her I’d think about it.”
“Dad, you… you really found someone who loves you?”
Helorie nods. “Yes. I- I wasn’t expecting it. But I wasn’t expecting to fall in love the first time. Why should this time be any different?”
“You loved mom?”
Helorie nods again, this time slower. “Of course I did. I- I don’t think we would have made a good long term couple. If we would have married, we would have separated. But in that time we were together....”
Arianna says, “She always told me that she never really loved you.” Helorie blinks at that, shocked. Then he shrugs.
“Well, I suppose that’s to be expected.”
At night, the secret underwater fortress was nearly silent, save for the whir of machinery and sound of the bay. Helorie once again checked the note he had, listing a Room 347. He looked at the door. Room 347. Trying to ignore his nerves, Helorie carefully knocked on the door.
After a few moments, a young woman came to the door. Helorie had been worried she’d look so much like Natsya, but she looked far more like himself. But as he looked at her, he did notice what was like Natsya about her. Like that dead woman, her long brown hair was done up in braids, and she was both fat and muscular, like she’d been. And she had her eyes, even if they weren’t the same color- they were somehow hers. “Um.” said Helorie. “I’m looking for an Arianna?”
“Um, that’s me? Y-you’re Vizier Helorie, aren’t you? Is this about my work? Am in in trouble?”
“What, no, not about your work, your work records are, er, exemplary, good job.” Helorie had looked over Arianna’s work records before he came, but Arianna gave him a look as if she didn’t think this compliment sincere. “I’ve come here about something I’ve found.”
Arianna looked Helorie over, eyes calculating. “Something you’ve… found?”
“Yes.” Helorie pulled out the ring he’d once made for Natsya and showed it to Arianna. “You put up a sign about it. Your ring.”
“My ring!” Helorie handed it over to Arianna, who examined it. “It was… injured, I wonder what happened to it.”
“Um. Someone stepped on it. I was very upset.”
“Well, that was nice of you, I suppose. Were you the person who repaired it? It almost looks like it was never broken, if I didn’t know so much about smithing and I didn’t know this ring so well, I’d never know.”
Helorie nodded. “Yes. That was me.”
“Well, um, Vizier, thank you for handing back the ring. I-”
“Where did you get this ring?” asked Helorie.
“My father made it for my mother, before he left her. When she died, she passed it on to me. I managed to keep it all these years.” Arianna turned to her dresser, pulling out a long chain. “I rarely actually wear it as a ring, I keep it on a chain. It’s easier, I feel like it’s always there, and I don’t have to worry about it when I’m working.”
“I made that ring.”
“Are you claiming it’s yours?” asked Arianna. “Because it is mine. People have tried to steal it from me before, and I-”
Helorie shook his head. “No. Not that. Um, Arianna, you might want to sit down. I think- I think it’s most likely that I’m your father.”
It is nearly two months after his ressurection when Helorie finally begins to move his things into Anya’s room. He has woken enough mornings by her side or awoken by her ordering breakfast for the both of them that it’s simply the most efficent choice. As Tsaritsa, she has her own library now, and so Helorie moves his books there and takes Ekaterina’s books and all the rest of her old things into his former room, a place for her to be if she’s ever returned.
And now Helorie’s soaps are next to Anya’s soaps and their lives are even more becoming one. One late evening, they’re having a late second dinner in their room, Anya reading the evening paper when Helorie mentions, casually, “We should pick a wedding date.”
And Anya knows exactly what he means. “I think an early summer wedding would be nice. Maybe late spring. I think gold and red would be good colors for a summer wedding.”
“I don’t look good in red, and not in excessive gold, either. How about black?”
Anya puts her paper down and gently rustles Helorie’s sleeve. “Is black appropriate for a wedding?”
“Isn’t it one of your favorite colors?”
Anya nods. “It is.” She considers the colors. “Black and gold are good. Is Ehimay going to be your best man?”
“No, I think I’ll have Maelys as my best woman instead.”
“I wonder if she could officiate. I know you’re an apatheist, but you know I love Setelli.”
“A Setellian wedding would be fine. She’s what, practically this nation’s matron goddess? Heh, practically the world’s? Rename this planet Setelli, I’d be fine with that change. Aaia was a horrible person and has been dead for hundreds of years. Let’s stop honoring her with naming this planet after her.”
“I think there’d be some objections to that. One of which being that I don’t think having the same name of this planet is quite an honor. Cathedral of Setelli for the ceremony, palace for the reception?”
“Sounds good.”
“Well, here’s your new room.” said Helorie, opening up the door to one of the palace rooms for Arianna. “I hope you like it.”
“It’s huge.” said Arianna. “Wow, it has its own bathroom? And a study?”
Helorie nodded. “Yes, it’s a suite. And look, there are your neighbors.”
Monroe and Von Wolff were walking over, Monroe holding a poorly iced cake. “Hello! I’m Monroe, this is Von Wolff. We heard you were moving in, I baked you a cake.”
Arianna smiled widely at that. “Wow, that was really nice of you, thank you so much. I’m Arianna. I’m, er, the Vizier’s daughter.”
Von Wolff had a baffled look on his face, but Monroe simply kept his vaguely neutral expression. “Oh, that’s nice. Anyway, can we come inside, or-”
“Come on in!” said Arianna. She entered the room, and Monroe and Von Wolff follow. Helorie felt out of place, but also didn’t want to leave his daughter alone with this pair. Well, with Von Wolff at least. “So, um, are you two-”
“No, we’re not a gay couple. I don’t know why everyone keeps thinking that!” complained Von Wolff.
“Um, do you have a problem with hom-”
“No! The love of my life was a dude, before he was died pointlessly!”
Monroe sat the cake down, but his neutral expression fluttered. “It is very sad, and I miss Sebastian and Maelys very much as well.”
“Are we just going to ignore the death of Gertrude?” asked Helorie.
“I’d call that a good thing. We should send Illiam a card for that, but fill it with snakes that bite him for killing Sebbie and Maelys!” says Von Wolff.
“I don’t think that would be effective, he would notice the bulge in the card. What about a cake that was hollow and had snakes inside?” asked Monroe.
“Would the snakes be cooked?”
Monroe shook his head, red curls flying. “Oh, no. They’d be placed inside the cake after it was baked.”
“Do you have any knives, so we can cut this non-snake cake?” asked Von Wolff.
Arianna shook her head. “No, we weren’t allowed any in the secret underwater fortress.”
And Monroe pulled a knife from his sleeves and Arianna sat down with the pair to eat it while Helorie watched.
Anya pats Helorie and he looks up from his book. “I have just been informed that two very special people are downstairs!”
“Maëlys and Zakele? Wonderful! I’ll go-”
“No. Uncle Danill and Aunt Cass.”
“What?!”
Anya nods. “Yes, it was a huge surprise. But I’m rather excited to see them. Aunt Cassandra was always nice to me as a child, and…” Anya thinks about it for a moment. “And you can talk to Uncle Danill!”
Helorie and Anya make their way down the main staircase to where Danill and Cassandra are waiting. Cassandra rushes to Anya’s side, to wrap her up in a hug. “Oh, Anya, look at you! When I last saw you, you were just a teenager, now you’re all grown up! And the Tsaritsa!”
“Cassandra, I do not think that woman is Anya.” says Danill, but Anya shakes her head.
“No, Aunt Cass, it’s me! Wow, it’s been so long!”
Cassandra lets go of Anya and nods. “You’re a beautiful young woman, the Tsaritsa, and I hear you’re engaged? Who’s the lucky gal or fella?”
Anya blushes, hardly noticable against her dark skin. “Well, here’s a hint…. you already know him.”
Danill blinks, trying to think of who it could be. “Um. Er. One of Maelys’s sons?”
Anya strokes Helorie’s arm. “I’m getting married to Helorie!”
There is a moment of silence and then suddenly Danill laughs. “Oh, Anya, what a…. wierd joke! Seriously though, who are you getting married to?”
“Helorie and I…. are getting married. We love each other.” Anya strokes Helorie’s arm again. He’s shaking slightly, and Anya pats him, hoping he’ll calm down. She hates seeing him like this. Feeling? She’s looking at Cassandra, and Danill, not his face right now, but she can picture it almost instinctively, she can see him in her mind’s eye.
Cassandra does her best to smile. “Well, Anya, I think that’s all that matters. If you two love and care for each other, then-”
“NO!” screams Danill. “You’re a sick man, you know that, Helorie? And to think I used to look up to you! My uncle!”
Helorie has a shudder in his voice when he speaks, a shudder that only Anya herself can feel. “W-why would you accuse me of being sick? Anya and I- we’re not blood relations- I understand there’s an age difference, but- and I’m not a lich anymore, I-”
“How could you take advantage of a young girl like that? Your own relative? Your own-”
“I’m not being taken advantage of!” proclaims Anya. “What do you think Helorie’s doing? I love him out of my own free will! I only had feelings for him when I was an adult!”
“I don’t- I- I-”
And then suddenly Helorie bolts, and for all the things her braces can do, Anya can’t really run in them very well. He dashes up the stairs, and Anya, with a quick glare at Danill, tries to follow after him. She’s halfway up the stairs (and Helorie at the top) when she remembers that she can fly, and she leaps after him, catching him halfway to their bedroom.
“Helorie, stop. I- I don’t know what my uncle was talking about. Helorie, you did nothing wrong. I did nothing wrong.” She pauses, resting a hand on his shoulder. “You know, when I realized my attraction to you, I did…. I did feel that because we were family, it could be… it could be an issue. I- Helorie, I don’t think I really ever felt attracted to anyone before I felt attracted to you. I- thought about whether my feelings were wrong, whether I was simply confused, because of all you’d done for me, but… in the end I realized what my feelings towards you precisely were, and that it was okay. Helorie, we’re both consenting adults. You love me, and I love you.”
Helorie turns around, face covered in tears. “Y-you’re- Anya, y- knowing you has been one of the best things in my life. Our relationship has changed over the years, and- I know it’s wierd, but, what if, what if it’s bad…. what if-”
Anya wipes the tears from Helorie’s face. No crying now. “Don’t ever think you ever manipulated me into a relationship. If anything, I sometimes worry it’s a little bit of the reverse. Helorie, you’re everything to me. And if people think that’s a bad thing, then that’s their problem.”
“Okay.” says Helorie, and he too deals with his tears. “I hate crying, you know that.”
“I know. Me too.”
Helorie rarely cried as a lich, but he cried on the night that Kir and Danill were born. When Chrysal gave birth to those two twins, those darling boys who had Dmitri’s eyes, but who would never see their dead father, what else was there to do but sob at the unfairness of a world where he was alive and Dmitri dead. What would the world have missed if he were to perish? He still had that overwhelming fear of death, that endless doom at the end, and it would be so hard to kill a lich, but wasn’t it so hard to kill Dmitri? Dmitri could be a father, the Tsar still, a husband to Chrysal, and all Helorie was was Arianna’s father, and now she had found someone else who could love her better, take care of her better than he could. Admittedly, he was a boyfriend and Helorie her father, but more and more Helorie saw himself become doomed to be obsolete as Arianna’s most important family member.
When Helorie went to check on Kir and Danill, Chrysal was there, standing over their crib, and as he looked at her face he saw that her eyes were red and puffy, and she saw that his glasses had been smudged with his tears, but they both said nothing. Because what could they say?
Helorie woke up to Anya lightly shaking him. “Helorie! Helorie, wake up! I have the most wonderful thing to show you!”
Helorie’s eyes flutter open, and he sits up. “What? What do you have?”
“It’s a surprise!”
Helorie sighs as he throws a light robe on and slippers to follow Anya down the hallway, down the stairs, and into the secret area of the palace. “Don’t I even get any hints about what we’re going to go see? Any hints at all?”
Anya throws open a door to a room dramatically and marches in. She walks to a table where two large eggs sit in a fluffy box, a lamp shining over them. “Tada! Look, darling, just look at them! Aren’t they perfect?”
Helorie looks over the black eggs, each slightly smaller than an ostrich egg. “Anya, what- did-” Helorie shakes his head. Is he dreaming? “Are they ours?!”
Anya flicks Helorie’s nose. “Hells Bells, I thought you’d realize that instantly! Of course they’re ours. We thought I was gaining a few pounds, but I was just pregnant. Er, with eggs. Though I have still gained a bit of weight.”
Helorie, still in a daze, strokes an egg. It’s kept comfortably warm. “Our children? I- you’ve confirmed that? Er, Anya, how did they come out of you, was it painful? Why didn’t you summon me, I could have comforted you.”
“It all happened so suddenly, Helorie. One minute I had cast True Transformation, the next I had laid them, and they were sitting next to me. I- Well, I’m glad that they’re safe, but I would have never cast any transmutation spells if I knew I was pregnant.”
Helorie snickers as he touched an egg. “And perhaps we shouldn’t have been experimenting with transmutation spells in the bedroom, hm?” He spreads out his fingers, sending out a probe to determine the health of the egg, as well as any possible gender information available at this stage. The egg is healthy, freshly laid. Already Helorie gets the sense of a tiny creature inside, nubs of arms and legs and wings, a baby boy. He puts a hand on the other egg, but checks to make sure he’s actually done so when he the spell results come back. This egg is perfectly identical to its twin so far! “Well, Anya, I think they’re going to be identical twins.”
“Oh dear. Helorie, we’re going to have our hands full!” She wraps her arms around Helorie, and lifts him up and spins him around. “Our cute little twins! They’ll be so perfect!”
Helorie snorts. “Only if they take after you, dear.”
Helorie stepped through the wreckage of the village, unburned by the tiny flames that still danced in the ruins. An old man was cowering in a broken home. “You- you’re one of them rebels, ain’t you?”
“I am.” replied Helorie. “What happened here?”
“Imperial troops took this place over, because we had a meeting about joining you rebels! They burned it to the ground! Oh, it was horrible, there were so many people dead! They spared me because I warned them, and because I’m so old!”
Helorie wanted to spit on this traitor of an old man, but did not. “Was a woman named Natsya among those who were killed?”
“Natsya? Natsya Dyomin?! That poor girl? Died about five years back. Got real sick, started coughing and couldn’t stop, just glad that kid of hers didn’t get it, though it may have been more merciful that way…”
A child? Natsya had a child? So she had found someone else. Or-!? No! “Who was that child’s father? Is he dead?”
“He was a wanderer, lived here for a year. Worked at the smith, brunnete, always taking care of- wait. You’re-”
“What happened to the child?!” said Helorie, trying his very best to stay calm even though the only woman he’d ever loved was dead and he had a child he’d never heard of.
“Nobody would take care of her. No father to raise her. Grandparents were so upset at their girl for having her, so the mayor alerted the imperials and I guess she’s a slave now. Poor brat.”
No. No. This couldn’t be really happening. This couldn’t really be the truth. This had to be- had to be like that time where he and Dmitri were taken to that place where the universe was fundamentally other, not here, not reality. This couldn’t be-
Helorie was suddenly aware of the imperial troops approaching the building, and with a scream he thrusted out an arm at them, sending out waves of lightning and fire. As they still approached, somehow still alive, Helorie thrust up his arm, sending some flying and blocking the others before sending down more fire at them. When the chaos ended, they were all dead and gone, leaving only Helorie and his thoughts.
There are flowers everywhere, and Anya hovers among them, thinking about which ones she would pick. “Oh, look at these goldenrods, Helorie, so pretty. Do you think they’ll be nice for the wedding?”
Anya thrusts some of the goldenrods in Helorie’s face and he sneezes. “Helorie, are you allergic to flowers?”
Reaching into his pocket, Helorie takes out a handkerchief and wipes his nose with it. “No! I’m not allergic to flowers! Or I wasn’t. I don’t think I was?”
“Maybe the flowers have changed, or your body destroyed all the things that don’t make you allergic to flowers at some point. Hm. Who knows. We’ll need to find some flowers you aren’t allergic to. Well, for you, no flowers with a military uniform, so that’s a no-no. Really, if I’m just wearing a bouquet, would you be fine with these flowers?”
Helorie wipes his nose. “I’ll be sure to cast a charm on the wedding day to make me not sick. You should, too.”
“Hm, you’re right. Sometimes I forget how useful magic is.”
Later that day the latest version of the wedding gown and the designer who has been making it arrive. She measures Anya again, height, waist, chest. “Ya’ve lost some weight, dear. A few pounds. I’ll need to adjust the dress again. Okay, Vizier, stand up next to the Tsaritsa, let’s see you side by side.”
Helorie stands next to Anya, and Anya holds his hand. “Look cuter! You are the greatest couple in all Uldok. Power couple! Adorable couple! YOU ARE ROMANCE! The Royal Family! The new generation of Imperial Uldok!”
Helorie isn’t really sure what the heck he’s supposed to do, so he simply raises his arm and smiles. Anya poses, and Helorie tries to mesh with her but accidentally ends up toppling her, and they fall together, ripping the dress. After a moment, Anya laughs, wrapping her arms around Helorie. And Anya’s laughter is contagious. Once they’ve started, they can’t stop.
Arianna was a beautiful bride. How could she not be? When Helorie watched his daughter walk down the aisle, he thought of what Natsya would have looked like, if she and Helorie ever had a wedding day, but he also thought of how she was leaving him. But also that she was going to be so happy with Atl, and Arianna’s happiness was far more important to Helorie than his feelings.
Still, when Arianna said her “I dos” Helorie felt like he would never see her again, even though he knew he often would.
Helorie was not invited to Esfir’s wedding. Nobody is. Esfir simply proclaims Itzicatl her consort, and that’s the end of that. Helorie wishes that Dmitri could have been there, if only to smile at the annoucement. That’s my daughter, that’s Esfir. Over the next three centuries, Esfir celebrated everything but familly. There was no celebration for Anya or Ekaterina’s birthdays, even their actual days of birth until they return from school, Esfir’s own birthday is a muted affair, especially compared to the lavish gatherings of Uldoki holidays, even the most minor.
After Danill’s wedding, Helorie sat in silence. How could someone condemn so many other people while having so many issues of their own? His nupital triade had also probably upset Cassandra, who was probably just trying to have a nice wedding before her now-husband got into one of his especially Danill moods.
Anya wakes up on the morning of the wedding and rolls over to look at Helorie, her usual waking up activity. “Good morning, are you ready to get married?”
Helorie’s eyes open. “I couldn’t sleep all night. Yes. I think so?”
“Well then, let’s get ready!”
Helorie and Anya go to the official dressing room and help each other get dressed. Helorie has seen Anya in her wedding dress many times, but when he sees her this morning, it hits him.
She’s real. Anya is real, and she loves him, and they’re getting married today.
And even though Helorie knew all those things, it still shocks him, the how of someone could marry him, someone could want him, someone could be okay with all this! “What are you thinking about, dear?” asks Anya.
“How I can’t believe this is real.”
Anya kisses Helorie’s nose. “Me too.”
Esfir and Itzicatl are waiting for Anya and Helorie outside of their dressing room. Itzicatl is the first to speak. ”Anya. My precious daughter, who I waited so long for. I- I hope on your wedding day- you appreciate it.You seize and treasure this day. You enjoy this day like it’s the last day on aaia.”
Esfir nods. “I hope you enjoy each moment. And continue to enjoy it. Because- because all of this is going to happen because of you. Everything that happens today is because of you. And we forgive you.”
Anya looks over her parents curiously. “Okay, dad, I appreciate your advice, mom, that’s extremely ominous and bad wedding advice. When Ekaterina gets married, dad, you give advice, mom, you just smile.’
“Oh, hush you. Come on, let’s get the carriage. Don’t want to be late to your own wedding.”
As Anya walks to the carriage, Helorie next to her, she smiles. “I have so many butterflies in my stomach. What about you, Helorie?”
“They feel more like giant killer moths.”
Anya holds Helorie’s hand. “Don’t worry, Helorie. Everything will be just perfect.”

Author's Note. Hey, Esfir never celebrates her daughters' birthdays in any universe! 
Let's talk about this baffling exchange between Esfir and Itzicatl before they cancel their wedding.

"I know. I FUCKING KNOW!” replied Esfir. “I know, Itzicatil, I know that-” 
“Esfir. Please, don’t cry. We can do this, okay? I’m sure there’s some way we can- I know she can’t die, or bad things happen but- just… delay things?” 
“Delay things?”

Who are they talking about? 
What are they delaying, 300 years ago? 
What would happen if that person was to die at this point in time? 
And on that note... how is she alive then?

Anyway, this whole story is novella length. I hope you enjoyed reading it.
Word Count: 5380 Words
Total Word Count: 23167 words

No comments:

Post a Comment