Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Sniplet 41. Xander Is Sick [Modern!AU]

Xander inspected Illiam, who was wrapped up on the couch, sniffing miserably. “I just don’t get it. I’m so cold, Xander. It’s so hot, but I’m so cold.”
Xander thought about all the signs and symptoms he had seen. Illiam was cold, had been sneezing, coughing up phlegm, and had little to no appetite. Finally, he pronounced, “Illiam, you are sick.”
The blond man rolled his eyes. “Oh geeze, Xander, you think? You know, I don’t think you need a medical degree to figure that out.”
“I would say you most likely have a cold.” said Xander.
“Oh really, a cold?” said Illiam. “Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too, because you know, I also went to medical school.”
Xander sat down next to Illiam and patted him. “There is no need to be cross with me, dearest. I am merely trying to aid you. Would you like some warm soup to heat you up? Or perhaps I should keep you company and warm you up.”
Illiam pushed Xander away. “I don’t want you to get sick. Then you’ll be cold too. You can’t be cold. I’m so cold.”
“Perhaps a nice hot shower could warm you up?” asked Xander. “Oh, I know, a delightful bath! I know they are bad for the environment, but you are sick. A hot bath shall surely do you some good.”
“Yeah, until it gets cold and I lie in it for hours, thinking of how and when to get up out of it.” complained Illiam.
“Then I shall monitor your bathing, and the instant you become too cold, I shall lift you from your bath and swaddle you in many warm towels and blankets and make you warm. And then I shall feed you soup.”
Illiam glared at Xander. “Why are you so obsessed with soup?”
The younger man turned his head away sheepishly. “It is one of the only foods I can cook reliably.” he confessed.
Illiam sighed. “I don’t even think we have any at home.”
“I shall go to the store and get you some. I’ll be back in a flash!”
“Xander, stop!” Xander, who had already reached for his keys and coat, paused. “Don’t get me any condensed soup, you hear? It needs to be thick.”
“Alright.” said Xander. “I shall return home soon to appease you, Illiam.”
“Hurry back.”
Xander had gotten probably way too many cans of soup, and was now holding a bowl in front of Illiam, trying to spoon the liquid into his mouth. Illiam’s attempts to feed himself soup had ended only in disaster, and a more steady hand was needed to feed this man some dinner. Or lunch. Xander wasn’t sure what meal this counted as.
“Appeased, Illiam?” asked Xander. “Are you happy?”
Illiam shook his head. “I’m still so cold! Not even warm soup makes me warm.” Xander looked as if he may cry. “Also, shoot, I’ve got to cough.” added Illiam, getting up from the couch, trailing blankets behind him as he shuffled to the bathroom. Xander put the soup down and neatly collected all the blankets, spreading them out so Illiam could enjoy them when he returned from the bathroom. Xander winced as he heard hacking, horrid coughs coming from the bathroom. Illiam flushed the toilet, and then returned.
“Blegh. Phlegm.” Illiam plopped down among the blankets, and Xander wrapped him up. “Still so cold.”
Xander nuzzled against Illiam. “I’m so sorry. If only I could do something effectual to make you warm.”
Illiam sighed. “Maybe a bath wouldn’t be such a bad idea after all.”
Illiam laid in bed as Xander served him the second round of soup. “I’m just freezing, Xander, and nothing can make it right.”
“I know you are cold, Illiam.” said Xander. “Eat this delightful carrot. Mmm, were there not the possibility of me getting sick I should devour it myself.”
Illiam ate the carrot. “I can’t go on like this. Being sick is the worst.”
Xander patted Illiam’s hand. “I know dear, I know.”
“I’m done with the soup. I kind of want to go to sleep.”
“Alright. You sleep here. I shall sleep on the couch.”
“Thank you.” said Illiam. He got up to go brush his teeth and Xander went out and laid down on the couch. Almost instantly, he fell asleep. The same could not be said of Illiam.
Xander woke up to a freezing sensation in his body, and Illiam patting him. He was dressed for work! “I feel so much better, Xander, thank you for taking care of me! I’ll have to reward you later, xanxan.”
Xander sat up, and coughed. Illiam’s face twisted, dreading what could be. Xander coughed again. And coughed. And coughed. Illiam sat down sharply on the couch. He hoped he wouldn’t cry.

Author's Notes:
I only wrote this story because I was sick and it was awful.
Length: 798 words
Date: April 15th

No comments:

Post a Comment